Saturday, June 23, 2018

Walker, Warren represent Lonoke County in all-star game

Lonoke's Keiunna Walker directs traffic for the East squad. (Photo by Emmy Buffalo)

Carlisle's Kylie Warren is fouled while driving to the basket for the East squad. (Photo by Mark Buffalo)


By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CONWAY — The two best high school girls basketball players from Lonoke County participated in the Arkansas High School Coaches Association All-Star Basketball Game at the Farris Center on Saturday.
Lonoke’s Keiunna Walker and Carlisle’s Kylie Warren were members of the East squad, which lost to the West 86-79 in a five-period contest. 
Walker, who will continue her playing career at Louisiana Tech University this coming year, finished with a game-high 16 points in 20 minutes of action. She had 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 block and 1 steal. 
“It was a great experience,” Walker said. “I’d do it all over again. I wish we could have stayed a week to get to know the team better. Playing against better competition got me better.”
Walker reports to Ruston, La., on Sunday. She’s taking a summer class. 
“i’m taking a summer math class,” she said. 
Warren, who will continue her playing career at Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia, scored 4 points and grabbed 2 rebounds in 12 minutes of action. 
Warren said she enjoyed playing with some of the best players in the state. 
“It was different,” she said. “It’s a lot more advanced that high school ball is. Most of them are going to play college basketball. It was a good experience. I really enjoyed it.”
Warren said she needs to get back in shape to get ready for SAU.
“I need to stay in the gym … I really regret taking the time off that I did. It was a wakeup call. I’ve been practicing with Coach [Jonathan] Buffalo and the Lady Bison. I feel like I’m old now.”

No comments: