Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Lonoke's James signs to play softball at Rust College

Lonoke softball player Candace James, surrounded by friends, family, teammates and coaches, signs her National Letter of Intent with Rust College during a recent ceremony. (Photo Courtesy of the James Family)


By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

LONOKE — Lonoke Lady Jackrabbits softball player Candace James is taking her game to the collegiate level.
James signed with Rust College from Holly Springs, Miss., during a ceremony recently inside the Gina Cox Center at Lonoke High School. 
Rust is an independent member of NCAA Division III.
"I selected Rust because of the longterm opportunities that they have to offer," James said. "It wasn't the only school I was interested in but it outshines both Arkansas State and the University of the Ozarks."
James is a three-year starter at catcher for the Lady Jackrabbits as she enters her senior season this springs.
"They did recruit me as a catcher and it is something that I still want to play but I would play anywhere they saw me fitting for the team."
James has played softball for 14 years, including two years of T-ball. 
"I have dreamed of playing college softball since I began playing the sport," she said. "It is one of the most rewarding things in my life to be able to live out my dream and still get to go to school to further my education."
James, who is the daughter of Brian and Kathy James, will pursue a double major in biology and chemistry.
"Then, I'll move on to get my education in physical therapy in a sister school of Rust," Candace James said.

Lonoke catcher Candace James fires a ball to second base during 2014 action. (Photo by Mark Buffalo)

No comments: