Friday, March 20, 2015

Lonoke's Goforth to play football at Lyon College

Lonoke football player Dylan Goforth signed with Lyon College during a ceremony this week at the Gina Cox Center. (Photo courtesy of the Goforth family)


By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer
lonokecountysports@gmail.com

LONOKE — Lonoke Jackrabbits football player Dylan Goforth is taking his game to the collegiate level.
Goforth signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Lyon College Scots during a ceremony this week in the foyer of the Gina Cox Center.  Lyon will play their first season this fall in more than 63 years.
"Lyon always felt very welcoming every time I visited the campus," Goforth said. "The coaches and some of the teachers I spoke with always had great attitudes and welcomed me with open arms."
Goforth said he was recruited by some schools outside of Arkansas.
"But none of the recruiters were nearly as aggressive and consistent as the Lyon coaches," Goforth said. 
Goforth started playing football when he was in the fourth grade. He signed with Lyon as an athlete. 
"But I made the all-state team (as a junior) at defensive end and they have mentioned both defensive end and linebacker," Goforth said. "I have spent my entire life working towards my goal of playing college football. My hard work and determination has paid off but my grind won't stop here. It has only just begun."
Lonoke coach Doug Bost said Goforth always took direction well. 
"He always had a great attitude and took coaching well when either on the field or the weight room," Bost said. "He always works his tail off. I think he's going to be a great football player at Lyon College."
Goforth said he wants to stay involved with athletics after college.
"I aspire to be a football coach while teaching history and PE," he said. "But I have also considered a career in the medical field or business administration."

No comments: